Joe: Still moving in the right direction. Like Spring, we’ll get there eventually. Joe made the most wonderful braised rabbit this week. Very tasty after a chilly dog walk (Coney thought so, too).
Coney Dog Sets Fashion Trend: You read it here first (see Iditarod Dog, etc. 2/10/08). Blue dog booties are the rage around the world, especially in Duesseldorf, where police dogs need to protect their feet against nasty bits of glass caught in the cobblestone streets.
Here's Coney Dog sporting her footwear:

and here's a Duesseldorf doggie:

Here's the description from an AP article found on Yahoo:
A police officer puts on shoes for his dog in this undated photo provided by police in Duesseldorf, western Germany, on Monday Feb. 25, 2008. Police dogs in the western German city of Duesseldorf will no longer get their feet dirty when on patrol: The entire dog unit will soon be equipped with blue plastic fiber shoes, officials said Monday. 'All 20 of our police dogs, German and Belgian shepherds, are currently being trained to walk in these shoes,' Andre Hartwich said. 'I'm not sure they like it, but they'll have to get used to it.' The unusual footwear is not a fashion statement but rather a necessity due to the high rate of paw injuries on duty. (AP Photo/Polizei Duesseldorf)
Of course, the Iditarod dogs have been wearing booties for years and they’re at it again. Today is Day 2 of the race.
Music Notes: I didn’t realize what a big deal Van Cliburn’s victory at the first International Tchaikovsky Competition, in Moscow on Apr. 14, 1958, was. I enjoyed listening to him speak with Scott Simon on NPR:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=87771963
There are lots of audio links on this page in addition to the interview, but I especially liked “How Van Cliburn Took Moscow” by Sara Fishko (scroll down near the bottom).
And, for you movie music buffs, don’t miss Andy Trudeau’s annual review of Oscar movie music:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=19251328
2 comments:
Another story on the police dog booties referred to the dogs in question being either German or Belgian shepherds. This had us discussing what, precisely, a Belgian shepherd is, and it turns out that, pricisely, it isn't. Precise, that is. The term can mean any of the following breeds: the Groenendael, the Laekenois, the Tervuren, or the Malinois. An image search on Google will turn up a huge diversity of coats and body shapes, most of them attractive and recognizably those of working dogs.
I'd put money on the Malinois. It looks like all of the Mailinois I've ever known, and I've known a few of them.
Post a Comment